Letters & Stories

Extracts from the Morning Star
By ALICE THOMPSON - August/Sept 2006 Issue

On the 28th June 1906 twins were born premature to Florence and Edmund Franklin of Cheltenham as they were not expected to live. On the 29th Alice May and John Henry were baptised at St.Pauls. John Henry lived two weeks and Alice May had her hundredth birthday on the 28th June. In 1910 Edmund and his brother opened a bakery in James Street, Cheltenham. AlIce attended school at Alberton Ladles College on Prince Street, Alberton On April 6th 1929 Alice married Sydney Thompson at St. Bedes, his brother Gilbert had permission from the Bishop to perform the ceremony as he had only just been ordained. Sydney died suddenly when Alice was only 44 and her only child John was 15. In the eighties Alice & John bought a house together in Boord Street, Semaphore South and joined the parish of St. Bede's. Alice worshipped at St. Paul's on her 92nd birthday. John died seven years ago, and Alice continued to live in her housel until just before her 99th birthday when she moved to Phillip Kennedy Hostel. Alice is a remarkable lady she enjoys the company of family and friends and remembers all about Port Adelaide and the adjoining suburbs.


WITH THANKSGIVING by Arthur Wilkinson - Oct/Nov 1993 Issue

82 years ago, I came into this world by the grace of God and a very loving mother. Many enormous events have transformed humanity during that time, especially the two Great Wars. Looking back over those years has convinced me of the awful social damage to our people in Australia and elsewhere. Millions of oUr own people have no knowledge of God's lessons to his people given to us in the Ten Commandments and the Lord's Prayer, each part of which fits every need of our life. My dear mother was my teacher of that blessed thought. For myself, I can only say that I have been richly blessed. My mother and dad nurtured 11 children and I was number 9 and we were all guided along the right paths of life. Through my marriage in St Bede's to my dear wife Marjorie (nee Lyall) we were blessed With four children - two sons and two daughters. One of our grand-daughters and her husband left for Thailand as misionaries in October 2003. The years of working life was filled as a salesman in a leading engineering supply warehouse which took me through a very interesting study of abrasives for a 3 month school in America. This enabled me to serve industry in South Australia as an Abrasives Specialist and to retire as the manager of that department. When I was 9 years of age I began to use God's gift to me of music as a choir boy at St Cuthbert's, Prospect, and then to St Alban's, Largs Bay, where I was confirmed. Since my marriage I have tried to serve St Bede's, Semaphore. I joined our choir in 1946 and was a member until 1986. I was organiser for 2 years, a lay reader since 1946, attended to services each month at St Margaret's Hospital since 1948, and with St Laurence's Home for the Aged since 1984. For 9 years I was Superintendent of our Sunday School, spent many years on parish council and for 12 years took care of our banking and recording of envelope offerings. It is now good to sit with my dear wife and with our many friends and to continue to enjoy the lovely services in St Bede's. We have all been richly blessed. Thanks be to God.

up to top


MY LIFE AT ST BEDE'S by Betty Candy - April/May 1995 Issue

My earliest recollection of St Bede's is going to Sunday School in the kindergarten room in the hall in Ward Street. When I was 11 years old I was asked to join the choir by Mr George Hunter who was the organist/choirmaster. The Rev'd Frank Hewitson was Priest in Charge. I remember wearing a black skirt, white blouse and a black hat - no lady went to church without wearing a hat! The choir girls donned our hats in the small storage room off the northern porch - it got quite crowded at times. Any young person with any sort of voice ended up in the choir. I was confirmed on 25 September 1940 by Bishop Nutter Thomas, having just turned 13. I romped through my teenage years with appearances in St Bede's Concert Party - "The Merry Fellows" - and other activities including teaching Sunday School under the superintendent of the kindergarten, Miss E Pepper.

My brother, Alex Chisholm, was called into the Army and went overseas like so many other boys. There was fund-raising for the war effort going on everywhere and my mother, Mrs Violet Chisholm, and I went to the Ward Street hall to Red Cross and Comfort Fund meetings, which all our church ladies attended. We had a new dance floor put down in the hall and a monthly dance was held. St Bede' s dances were very popular and continued for many years. In September 1945, we held a Victory Ball. The whole congregation rejoiced at the return of our young men and when Alex came home he paid for my tuition for singing lessons at the Conservatorium but after 18 months I had to give them up. I was doing so much singing at the 'Welcome Homes' etc., that it had affected my throat, and I was advised by my doctor to stop singing for at least 3 months, so I had to leave the choir. I was 18 and devastated.

During this time, at one of our monthly dances, I met Ray Candy and we were married on 30 October 1948, by my brother-in-law, the Rev'd Arnold Bowers, assisted by the Rev'd Frank Hewitson. Ray and I bought a fruit and vegetable business on Semaphore Road, where we stayed for 25 years. Our son, Peter, was born on 30 January 1950, then daughter, Christine, on 30 July 1951. When they were old enough to go to Sunday School, I became a teacher again, but after 3 years the choir called again. Mr George Hunter was still organist/choirmaster. As membership was very low, Judy Schroder, Barbara Bannigan and I were often the only ladies. A young Tony Noble eventually joined us. By then the ladies wore white dresses and blue veils and the Rev'd Ben Jones was Rector. Eventually choir gowns were made for us - the ones we wear today. Mter the retirement of Mr Hunter in 1968, St Bede's had a succession of organists until 10 years ago when Mr Keith Hutton graced our organ stool. I love the choir at St Bede's - it has always been my second home.

up to top