Start here...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The First 100 Years

The venerable Bede

  • Born 673 A.D. in Northumbria near monastery of St. Peter
  • Consecrated to God's service at age 7 presented by his abbot to deacon's order – Wearmouth and Jarrow
  • Elevated to priesthood at 30/ devoted his life to study and copying of manuscripts
  • Died 26 May 735 A.D.
  • Most celebrated work – Ecclesiastical History of the English People

The Semaphore Parish

  • Development of district and church followed parallel course
  • Semaphore owes its name to the business enterprise of Mr. George Coppin who in 1850 established White Horse Cellar Inn in Port Adelaide
  • 1875 – Semaphore Time Ball Tower was erected
  • March 1879 – Semaphore produced a 30 lb. watermelon
  • August 1880 – local newspaper reported that, “ building operations in the district were remarkably brisk and that the stone could not be quarried fast enough to meet the demand”
  • October 1884 – Semaphore Amateur Christy minstrel show staged its 1 st performance
  • 6 February 1883 – Rev. F Coghland opened Semaphore Collegiate School (in 1884, it was known as St Bede's College)
  • Census figures for 1891 – Port Adelaide population – 17,140 ( 7,159 lived at Semaphore)
  • October 1889 – Semaphore Corporation purchased Institute property and hall
  • April 1917 – electric tramsway service was commenced
  • 1916 – Wondergraph Picture Company – started screening pictures
  • Census 1971 – shows Semaphore as a low-growth area of depressed socio-economic status and high urbanisation

The foundation of St.Bede's

  • Until 1878 Anglicans living on Le Fevre attended St. Paul 's at Port Adelaide
  • May 1878 – South Australian Register reported, “ increase in the number of the regular residents at the Semaphore has brought practically home to the members of the Church of England the need for regular Church accommodation and services.”
  • To translate this feeling into action, a meeting was convened May 10, 1878
  • 2 September, 1878 – Mr. J.C. Lovely presented to the committee plans and specifications for the church building
  • 26 October 1878 – foundation stone was laid by Lady Jervois
  • 1881 – church applied to Synod for recognition as a congregation and for representation

The outreach

  • 1894 – Miss Hayes established a Sunday School at Mellor Park
  • July 1896 – about sixty children were on the roll
  • Until 1916 St. Alban's remained a mission church of St. Bede 's

Rectors of St. Bede's

  • George Henry Farr, MA, LLD. 1879-1883
  • Francis Robert Coghlan BA 1883-1885
  • Henry Howitt 1885-1886
  • Walter Ward, MA 1887-1891
  • William Adderley Campbell , MA 1891-1897
  • William Alexander Swan, 1901-1918
  • James Welsh, 1918-1935
  • Frank Beaumont Hewitson 1936-1952
  • Charles Roland Whereat, ThL, MBE, 1952955
  • Vernon Desmond Hartwig, ThL, 1955-1959
  • Benjamin Raymond Jones, ThL, ED, 1959 -

St. Bede's and the sacred ministry and other vocations

  • Parishioners turned priest – Richard Adderley Campbell, Richard Elliot Saunders, Warren Swan, Cecil Swan, Gordon Hewitson, Brian Fagan, Tony Noble
  • Anthony Polling- missionary electrician in Melanisia
  • John Mills – 3 year teacher in New Guinea
  • Betty Jones- sister in Community of the Holy Name

The Church Properties

  • The Register in April 1879 described the original building as Gothic in style, built of dry creek stone, capable of seating
    300 people
  • August 1885 – enlarged building was re-opened and Rev. Howitt preached to large congregations
  • 1895 – 1 st parish hall was built
  • 1922 – opened kindergarten room
  • May 1963 – new hall formally opened
  • 1891 – 1 st Rectory purchased
  • 1912 – new rectory purchased

Some outstanding lay workers

  • Longest serving priest's warden – Mr. Arthur Blizard, 1948-1967
  • Mr. Graham Pyrke – people's warden, 1940-1956
  • William Hansen – priest's warden, 1967-1978
  • Following deserve a mention for their long years service: Mr. VJ Pavia, Mr. WJ Thurgarland, Captain Marshall Smith,
    Mr. WH Shaw, Mr. AW Bush

Aspects of the 1st hundred years

  • 1978 – no less than 5,170have been baptised, 2,337 have been confirmed, and 2,076 weddings
  • 1937 and 1938 – average attendance: 86 at 11am mass, 129 at 7pm
  • 1919 – church has over-drawn on its bank account
  • November 1977 –Parish branch last official meeting
  • 1895- Mother's Union was formed
  • 1952 – gymnasium club was formed
  • 1976 – junior netball club was founded
  • 1945-1959 – Merry Fellows concert party

Church music at st. bede's

  • 1 ST organist – Miss Hall
  • St. Bede's Day 1884 – ladies of parish provided tea, proceeds to later go to buy the organ
  • 1904 – organ debt wiped off with funds raised by entertainment and fairs
  • Organists and choirmasters – John Williams, HA Anderson, GE Hunter, Mr. Hunter, Peter Ruys

 

1980 – Present

  • 1980 Rev. Robert Niehus appointed as Rector of St. Bede's
  • 1988 Rev. Ross Morony appointed Rector
  • 1990 Rev. Garry Weatherill appointed as Rector of St. Bedes.
  • 1992 St. Bede's and St. Paul's, Port Adelaide, amalgmate to become the Anglican Parish of Semaphore, Port Adelaide and Northern Westlakes. Rev. Garry Weatherill appointed as Priest-in Charge
  • 1997 Rev. Jeff Oake appointed Priest-in-Charge of St. Bede's and St. Paul's.
  • 2004 Rev. Ali Wurm appointed as Priest in Charge of St. Bede's and St. Pauls.
  • 2006 Process begins of St. Bede's and St. Paul's each becoming a separate parish
  • 2007 Anglican Parish of St. Bede's, Semaphore, officially licensed. Rev. Ali Wurm licensed as Priest-in-Charge
  • 2013 Rev. Ken Bechaz commissioned as Priest-in-Charge.